openSUSE 11.0 KDE3 Live CDst

I have been reading since openSUSE 11.0 GM release a lot of comments posted in many forums and blogs about the "lake" of KDE3 CDs. This big noise around got my attention specially because I was one of the KDE users that shared people's preferences of using a very stable KDE version - KDE 3.5 - for daily use instead of the bleeding edge KDE 4.0.

The process of installing KDE3 on openSUSE no matter what desktop environment users were using was quite simple to follow:

# zypper install -t pattern kde3

or if you just want a clean KDE 3 base:

# zypper install --no-recommends -t pattern kde3

or even by selecting "KDE3 Base System" pattern on YaST. Easy, isn't it?

Well, for those lazy people who don't want to install openSUSE with KDE4, GNOME, XFCE or any other and then install KDE3 I have a gorgeous news: openSUSE 11.0 KDE3 Live CDs are now available!



These Live CDs are also installable CDs and were creating using the openSUSE KIWI Image System. They contain the latest official updates as also the latest packages from KDE:KDE3, KDE:Backports, KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop, and KDE:KDE4:Factory:Extra-Apps repositories as of this time of writing.

Big thanks to the KDE Team and Kiwi Team that supported me since the beginning encouraging and helping me in this adventure ;-)


Note: these ISOs are not officially supported by openSUSE nor Novell. If you want to report any bug found use Novell's Bugzilla for better tracking. Feedback or for any other purpose please contact me via email (cgoncalves [at] opensuse [dot] org).

14 comentários:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your iso. I install KDE4 and is so unstable yet. And also I prefer the KDE3.5 style is very friendly and stable.
Regards
Marco

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot.
Is it possible that you publish a HowTo about the way you created this KDE3-Live-CD?
This would be very helpful.
The next step could be an OpenSuse-LiveCD with Packman packages installed as default.

Carlos Gonçalves said...

I will try to write a quick 'how to' of how did I create these KDE3 LiveCDs on http://en.opensuse.org soon, and most likely will blog about it either. Stay tuned! ;-)

LiveCDs with Packman packages can be easily done using my kiwi config available, though I do not intend to do this at least for now. If there is anyone interested in doing this and need help feel free to contact me.

Unknown said...

Many thanks for sharing all your hard work. The result is excellent. Cheers, Bill (Tasmania)

Mikko said...

If you have DVD drive, you can use the ordinary installation media to install the system directly with KDE 3.5.9.

See this link

In my opinion, the DVD is in any case the better way to install the system. Live CDs suck :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making those CDs. However, when I tried to download them today (Aug. 13, 1pm EST), I got the "page not found" error. I tried wget, but it said it couldn't resolve the website url.

Anonymous said...

Hey Carlos, nice one!

I'm looking forward to your how to of how you did create the live CD because I want to create a variation that has some apps on it that I have written, to test for possible release as live tools.


Swerdna

Carlos Gonçalves said...

anonymous: The server was outstate for maintenance and then we had some issues setting it back again. It's now running.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.


Swerdna: Thanks. I will try to write it down very soon I promise (please remind if me if I don't heh) :-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for a great job. Installation went very smoothly and quickly and did not even foul up the W*****s V***a on my laptop.

Anonymous said...

Thanx for these Carlos. Any idea how hard it would be to make a PPC version? I'm in need of that as well. email me direct if you want, I'm on the opensuse, opensuse-factory, and opensuse-ppc lists. Thanx

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for creating these two liveCDs.

I took the liberty of creating torrents from the two ISO files, and posting the torrents on mininova.org. In the description I referenced your blog. I hope you do not object.

The mininova page that contains the torrents (of your packaged liveCD with KDE-3.5.9 on openSUSE-11.0) are here:

32-bit openSUSE-11.0 KDE-3.5.9 liveCD:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1692167

64-bit openSUSE-11.0 KDE-3.5.9 liveCD:
http://www.mininova.org/tor/1705241

I am currently seeding them.

Unknown said...

First, I just wanted to thank you for providing this. But, I wanted to let you know that there was something funny about your LiveCD versus the normal 11 distro liveCD: the mouse (I have an Alps touchpad on a Dell Inspiron 6000) was really really finicky, almost totally unusable. This might be something to keep in mind for other LiveCD applications. I ended up doing a fresh install and used the YaST pattern for KDE 3 installation. So many things that don't work in 4 work great in 3, like no samba issues, my XF86 keys are mapped correctly, and overall it is more stable. Hope 4 catches up. Thanks again for the LiveCD.

Anonymous said...

Any chance of getting the howto use your config so it can be updated to 3.5.10 and possibly a section on how to add nvidia drivers and such?

Anonymous said...

This is excellent! I just wish I had this sooner. I have tried to use the KIWI system myself, but it did not work out. Looking forward for the howto :-)

top